Sunday, February 19, 2012

An Old-Fashioned Girl

Those who know me know that I've always enjoyed things that are "old-fashioned."  Growing up, my mom used to tell me I was born in the wrong century...I loved Laura Ingalls and Anne of Green Gables like best friends.  As an adult, I love living in the 21st century for innumerable reasons, but I continually am drawn to certain things that might be called "old-fashioned."

One of my old-fashioned interests is sewing.  I've come to regard sewing as a "dying art."  My generation does not know how to sew, mostly because it is cheaper and faster to go buy what you need at the store.  I've always wanted to learn to sew, but didn't have the opportunity until a few years ago, when a developing friendship with a creative and crafty family included the opportunity to join them in their sewing projects.  I began joining them on weekend afternoons or evenings, socializing and enjoying their company, and sewing gifts for nieces and nephews and godchildren.  Before I knew it, I'd been persuaded to make myself a quilt, shown here on my guest bed:

When I decided to take the new job and move away, leaving our Sewing Circle behind was a tough sacrifice.  So I was immensely touched when they told me they were making a quilt for me.  At the time it wasn't finished, but when I came home for Christmas, they presented me with the finished product:


I wish I could adequately express my delight in this gift, which truly is a work of art.  The details, the colors, the patterns (some of which were original designs by my friends) - remarkable!  I also love to garden, so they chose the perfect theme for me. I have to show off all the different ways I've displayed it in the house:

What a gift of beauty and love and friendship.  This is a gift I will treasure forever.  It's the perfect gift for an old-fashioned girl.

1 comment:

  1. I miss your posts! But I know you're busy. I'm looking forward to the day I come here and there's a new post to read. : )

    ReplyDelete