Sunday, September 11, 2011

Charms & challenges

In any new adventure, one can expect ups and downs, joys and struggles, charms & challenges.  Especially as the newness wears off and one begins to see a fuller picture of the reality of the present, certain aspects become more apparent than they were before.

My adventure is no exception.  I knew from the beginning that the first year would present exciting new opportunities and difficult struggles.  I thought I'd share of few of each with you, as they have unfolded thus far.

Charms:
  • At Academic Convocation, the new VP for Academic Affairs presented his credentials and past experience as a one-time political science prof, including papers on topics like "Global Terrorism."  He supposed we might not think that work prepared him well for his present position, but he just wanted to inform all the students tempted to cheat on a test or plagiarize a paper that he is well versed in interrogation tactics.  (He did shift gears to give a very inspiring exhortation to take advantage of all the University offers.)
  • While all of the profs, including some former teachers, warmly welcomed me to the faculty, dear Dr. X (will I EVER bring myself to call him by his first name?) made a point to join my lunch table conversation during in-service.  It was delightful for him to reach out that way to establish collegiality...and completely in character with how I know him.
  • I've been going to Mass on campus at 6:30 am.  Every single weekday I'm surrounded by 250-300 college students who just rolled out of bed and threw on their sweats, but whose wholehearted participation in the Mass (at the crack of dawn) inspires and humbles me.  Wow.
  • I can drive to work in less than 4 minutes.  I can drive to Kroger's in about 3.  Less than 10 minutes to Wal-Mart and the mall.  It takes 20 minutes to Zumba, but with some great views of the country.  I walked to a party last weekend in under 10 minutes.  This means I can go some 18 days before I have to refill my gas tank.  Cha-ching!
  • The native population hails primarily from Italy and Poland, and many immigrated themselves or are children of immigrants.  Even apart from the students (who come from all 50 states, 50 foreign countries, and 6 continents), I find myself in a real treasure trove of multiculturalism.  The most recent example:  The seamstress I found, an Italian native in her 80s, loves to regale me with stories of the old country while she fixes my clothes.  I know every member of her family intimately...even though I've never met them.  And the exchange I witnessed between her and her husband about answering the phone could have come straight from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding."  Hilarious!
  • I look forward to my classes, and especially to seeing my students.  I find that I'm on familiar ground in the classroom...so much resembles teaching high school.  But I must say:  I LOVE that I don't have to say to the students "Write this down."  I just talk and they write.  Amazing.


Now for the challenges:

  • Lessons, lessons, lessons!  Who has time to do anything else?  It seems that all the time between classes would be quite a luxury for planning.  But I've definitely stepped up a level (or two) in content, and all the background reading takes quite a bit of time.  After this week, assignments will start coming in for grading.  May the good Lord multiply my time, especially once that happens!
  • I get the sneezies every weekend after the coke (as in, steel by-product) plant fires up.  This is not pleasant.  Combined with the advent of fall allergens, I can be a respiratory basket case on weekend.  I may need to explore that allergy shot option again.
  • My new house is smaller than the one I just moved out of.  So how come it takes 3 times longer to vacuum?!?!
  • The kitchen.  I must limit my word count on how challenging the kitchen is.  The only thing good I can say about the gas stove is that if the power goes out, I will still be able to cook dinner.  The cabinets don't shut all the way, and if they do, they pop right back open.  The drawers don't roll out, they pull out...and don't push all the way back in.  That leaves sawdust residue in my dishes in the cabinets below, necessitating that I wash them (again) before using.  I only have the counter space to span two cabinets.  I don't have a dishwasher (I've decreed that Sunday is paper plate day).  How on earth did anyone EVER cook in here?!  It's not ugly...it's actually quite charming visually...but it is not functional.  I'm already planning and pricing a renovation if I buy the house next summer.
  • Missing the folks back home - family & friends.  I hope all of you are well.  I think of you often!  Thank you for your notes & emails.  I really enjoy getting the news. 
My new adventure continues to excite me and as difficult as the challenges can be, I find myself stimulated as I meet them.  I know I'm growing in spite of - or probably because of - the struggles.  I remain convinced that God called me here, that I am where I'm supposed to be, and that alone makes this all worthwhile.

1 comment:

  1. wow, so much to comment on --
    I loved 6:30 Mass there when I was a student. There was something so beautiful about getting up before the world wakes and worshiping your Lord while it's still dark. And while I enjoy early Mass everywhere for that reason, there it was particularly special because of the multitude of people waking before the world wakes!

    I also miss having so much within a few minutes. I remember running to Kroger in the middle of cooking dinner because I had forgotten something!

    And I love your joy at not having to tell the students to write things down, haha!

    I'm sorry about your kitchen-- that has to be so hard for you! : ( I hope the rest of the house is endearing enough to make up for it-- for now!

    ReplyDelete