Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A new adventure

I wrote this post on Sunday, July 17; however, my internet service just came up today.  

They’ve just left.
My parents, brother, & brother-in-law, all of whom gave up their whole weekend to help me move, just drove away.  I’ve collapsed on the couch, exhausted.  They don’t have that luxury, with a long drive home and duties demanding their attention when they get there.
I feel overwhelmed with gratitude to all of you who gave me such a nice sending off.  So many people had me for a meal, helped me pack, loaded the moving truck, wished me well, and made sure I knew how much I’d be missed.  Words cannot adequately express how much I appreciate your love and support, not to mention how much I will miss you, how blessed I am that you’ve been (and will continue to be!) in my life.  
I’ve received a warm welcome here.  One friend recruited another couple of friends to help me unload the truck.  I’ve briefly encountered several people whom I know and/or will work with who’ve expressed their delight at my arrival.  Really, aside from the fact that C*mc*st has royally messed up my phone and internet hookup and won’t make good on it, everything has gone with hardly a hitch.  Miraculous, like so much else in this whole adventure. 
I feel a sense of unreality about it all.  My beautiful new house does not really feel like home - every once in a while, when I imagine going home, I picture my old (beloved) house and realize with a wave of sadness that I’m never going back there.  Fortunately, I’m too busy to dwell on that...and I hope that by the time the busyness abates I will have come to think of this house as home.
Every once in a while I ask myself:  What am I doing?  I’m leaving a house I’ve loved, a job I’ve enjoyed, dear family and friends to pursue this adventure into the unknown.  I’m not really an adventurous person; I don’t make snap decisions like this!  Why have I made these sacrifices?
What am I doing?  I’m saying yes to God.  I did not go looking for this adventure; I did not seek it out.  The offer came to me.  And after I discerned that it was truly from God, His invitation down a new path, I said yes.  I am stepping out of my comfort zone, confident that His plan for my life is good and will ultimately make me happy - even if there are short-term challenges to face and sacrifices to make.  
I anticipate that the coming year will be busy, challenging, stressful, and even sad on some days.  But I also anticipate God’s blessings as I respond to His invitation.  I know I will grow as a person;  I know it will be an adventure!
Let’s pray for each other, as we respond to His invitation to follow Him on our respective adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment