Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July!

I have some pretty terrific nieces and nephews, and they provide a steady stream of entertaining comments as well as some great adventures in my catholic education about life.

My oldest nieces & I had planned a trip to the nearest American Girl museum earlier this summer, which we had to delay when one of them broke her leg.  So I decided to spend the day with them, teaching them to knit and then joining them for a fireworks celebration in the local park.

The day became one long potential blog post.  I wish I had pictures to show of my nephew drinking pickle juice straight from the jar, or my youngest niece crying "Cheers!" as she clubbed us all with her cotton candy.  My oldest nieces (and my crafty sister) proved themselves quick learners and made great starts on their knitting projects.  Everyone enjoyed the symphony in the park and the fireworks show at the end, although we all agreed that Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" piped over a PA for the grand finale did not have quite the same effect as the symphony rendition of the 1812 Overture earlier in the show.  (It reminded me of my boat ride on the Sea of Galilee with "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands" playing over the loudspeaker.)  And I learned that I don't know the words to songs such as "Dixie" or the Marine Corps hymn, but I can sing every word of Lee Greenwood's "Proud to be an American."  Mental note:  Rectify that soon.

I now find myself 10 days out from my life-changing move.  I'm so grateful for precious time with family & friends before I become swamped with the transition into my new life.  I'm excited about the changes, but glad to savor this time too.

No comments:

Post a Comment