Sunday, August 21, 2011

Workout woes

Many of you know I've avidly Jazzercised for the past 8 years.  Since I'd have to travel 45 minutes one way to get to the nearest Jazzercise class in this area, I knew I 'd said goodbye-for-now to Jazzercise when I moved.  I assumed I could find something just as effective here, even if I didn't like it as well.  Not so much.

I should probably state right off the bat that since I've never been what anyone (in their right mind) would call "athletic", I have never really enjoyed exercise.  I tried it all, it seemed, and anything that didn't cause some sort of injury just wasn't enjoyable.  The only real exception to that was dance.  I took ballet classes in middle school and really loved the beauty of it.  But when I tried again as an adult, I found that while I liked the toning I got, it just didn't increase my heart rate.  It was also expensive. When I found Jazzercise, I found everything I needed:  a fun way to get my aerobic workout through dance, lots of good toning exercises, encouragement to push myself a little harder combined with assurance that I didn't have to keep up with everyone else, and instructions on how to modify exercises so I didn't injure myself.  The benefits were fantastic:  I became healthier and stronger overall; I protected my vulnerable back from further injury through core work; I had a healthy outlet for managing my stress; I slept better; and my clothes fit better.  What more can you ask?

Would that every exercise offering could do that for me.

My first attempt at "replacement-cise" focused on the programs offered by my work.  I heard from HR that a step aerobics class meets a few times a week, and a "jazzercise" class meets at alternate times, but they were on summer hiatus when I arrived.  However, once they reconvened, I got right in there.  Both instructor and class welcomed a new class member enthusiastically.  But my heart rate didn't rise as I'm used to, and we didn't do any toning exercises, both of which I need.  I have a weak back and have to work my core pretty hard to keep from injuring myself, and it didn't look like these classes would cut the mustard for my regular workout.  On to Option 2.

A local YMCA offers a number of classes.  I reviewed the schedule and thought "Total Body Conditioning" looked promising.  At the perfunctory gym tour I was told the instructor taught two back-to-back classes several days a week and used to weigh 212 pounds.  Hopes high, I entered the workout studio.  The instructor was spunky and sassy and yes, appeared to weigh just about 100 pounds to her 5 foot frame.  But she sported a severe case of what seemed like osteoporosis.  Still, as we gathered steps and mats and hand weights and rubber bands, I remained hopeful that this class could help me.  Hopes dashed.  We did light step aerobics for 10 minutes (hasn't anyone heard that 20 minutes is the minimum for an effective workout?), paused for 5 minutes to chat and wipe the sweat off our brows, hand weights for 10 minutes, paused for 5 minutes to chat and wipe the sweat off our brows, core for 10 minutes, paused for 5 minutes to chat & wipe the sweat off our brows, paused for 5 more minutes to wonder what time class ended and what we should do for the rest of the time, then cooled down for 10 minutes.  (Why we needed a cool down remained a mystery to me, but there you have it...a full 60-minute class.)  Since they wouldn't let me try any other classes without joining, I moved on to Option 3.

I've heard about Zumba for a few years, and assumed it's a kind of Jazzercise, Latin style.  While I'm not very adept at the whole Latin dance thing, I knew it would give me the core workout I need.  I heard about an instructor who has her own studio, called, got the class schedule, and braved a class.  We started the class by moshing.  (Who needs a warm-up??)  We continued to mosh, head-bang, and belly dance (!) at the highest possible intensity for the next 55 minutes.  I kept up pretty well, and was glad to finally sweat and get some core work, but I had to modify a bit to keep from hurting myself.  (I thought moshing & head-banging ended after high school...?)  And I wished for some toning exercises for my arms & legs.

I researched all the options I could find on the internet.  Maybe a gym offers Zumba classes, I thought.  Nope.  At best, one night a week.  I don't want to join a gym.  I've been to a gym.  Or, more accurately, I paid dues to be a member of a gym.  I certainly never worked out at the gym.  When the gym is always open, I always say "I'll go later."  I need a class time that I either make or I don't.  So joining the gym for a once-a-week dance class  isn't a good option.  Maybe another Jazzercise class has miraculously sprung into being, I thought.  Nope.  I began wondering if I could make that hour and a half round trip commute, plus hour-long class, three nights a week.  I realized that if I were crazy enough to sign up for that, it would become a practical impossibility once snow flies.  In total desperation, I began researching how to become a Jazzercise instructor.  (Go ahead and laugh.)  I realized that I may be driven to that some day, but to take on not one but two new teaching jobs in the same year would utterly defeat the purpose.  I want my exercise to decrease my stress level, not increase it.

So I've decided to join the Zumba classes.  I'm going to get some DVDs to use at home in hopes of getting some arm/leg work in.  (Hopefully they won't end up as useless as the gym membership.)  I may also take the aerobic intensity down in class and use some wrist weights I have to tone the arms.  The instructor offered me a new student special, which will take me through first semester, but regularly her classes are well out of the price range.  So I may face the same dilemma come January.  Stay tuned for further whining.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to Zumba.

Update:  Okay, so I've returned - not from Zumba, but from the Zumba teacher's "toning" class.  Every muscle group is quivering.  She asked if I wanted to stay for belly dancing but I don't think I could make my body - or my belly - obey any command.  Maybe Zumba will work out after all.  (And yes, I too am cracking up at the mental image of me belly dancing.  Among other things, I have no groove or rhythm whatsoever.  It's a, um, genetic deficiency.)

No comments:

Post a Comment